Probate law in Wisconsin is an important part of the legal system. It refers to the process of settling the estate of a deceased person. Probate law is complex and varies from state to state. To make sure you understand the probate process in Wisconsin, here are 10 facts you should know:
10 Facts About Probate Law in Wisconsin
1. Probate law in Wisconsin is governed by the Wisconsin Statutes and the Wisconsin Probate Code. These documents provide the framework for how probate proceedings should be conducted.
2. Probate is the process of distributing a deceased person’s assets to their beneficiaries. It is overseen by a court-appointed personal representative.
3. The personal representative is responsible for gathering the assets of the deceased person, paying any debts, filing taxes, distributing assets, and closing the estate.
4. In Wisconsin, the probate process typically takes between 3-6 months to complete.
5. Probate court proceedings are open to the public.
6. In Wisconsin, the personal representative is entitled to receive a commission for their services. The amount of the commission is determined by the court.
7. When a person dies without a will, the court will oversee the distribution of the assets according to the rules of intestate succession.
8. In Wisconsin, the probate process is handled by the county in which the deceased person resided.
9. In some cases, a trust may be used to avoid the probate process.
10. There are certain situations where the probate process can be expedited, such as in cases of emergency.
Understanding probate law in Wisconsin is essential for anyone dealing with the estate of a deceased person. Knowing the facts can make the process easier to navigate.
How Can We Help with the Probate Process in the Milwaukee Area?
The probate process can be stressful on its own – even without grief at the loss of a loved one – which makes it difficult to navigate the legalities of probate. We can help at Kingstad Law Firm, LLC and will perform an after-death consultation with our legal team as needed. We are happy to represent you in Formal Probate proceedings and will use more than 40 years in the courtroom to help you navigate the Informal Probate process. Let us help you find, assess and distribute any assets included in the estate when it is in probate.
Contact us at Kingstad Law Firm, LLC to learn more about how we can help you with available probate services in Milwaukee, WI!